Wednesday, November 10, 2010

On This Day in Christian History

This is a daily inspirational book filled with stories of saints, martyrs, and missionaries for each day of the year. Each story is a single page, and sometimes even less. I was very excited when I first received it and held high expectations for it. Unfortunately, it wasn't exactly what I was expecting. Several of the stories are not exactly inspirational, and quite often they were a little depressing. In some way the gospel was spread, but it always involved in death of some sort. I would have liked reading some inspirational stories that ended with spreading the gospel and the character for the day surviving the tough situation.
I do believe that it will be a good book for some people, and perhaps I held my expectations too high, but I don't know if I would recommend this to everyone. In all honesty, I do not know if I were to have read one story for the next year I would have finished it. I need something to grab my attention and hold onto it. I did enjoy the bible verses for each day, and there were some encouraging stories, but overall I felt it was lacking something. The stories were quite repetitive, and lacked a connection to draw the reader into each person’s story. I know that this must have been difficult since the stories are true and happened anywhere from fifty to hundreds of years ago, but a more personal connection would have perked my interest more. 

No comments:

Post a Comment